Legal Questions and Answers

Get free proposals from vetted lawyers in our marketplace.

No upfront payment required. Pay only if you hire.


Settlement Agreement

New Jersey

Asked on Aug 26, 2021

How to I get paid from this settlement without having to spend thousands on an attorney

Hello. Through legal help, I have a signed agreement with the other side to pay me $6500 in the settlement, after the other side did not deliver the product i signed on or. Before the attorneys got involved, I wrote a bad review about the 'others sides' business and posted it on the USREVIEW website. In the settlement agreement, i agreed to delete that post (review) however, i cannot. The 'other side' has the ability to have the review deleted, but he refuses to do so, using a stalling tactic not to pay me the settlement. The other side is in the UK. I have already wasted a lot of money on a lawyer from the U.S, he did not help much. I am now working with a lawyer in the UK, however, she is not sure that i will collect, even if we go to trial and win. Do i give up on this settlement, or is there another way to collect on the settlement without having to waste thousands of dollars?

1 Attorney answer



New Jersey

Answered 354 days ago

Donya G.

ContractsCounsel verified

Business Lawyer
Licensed in Connecticut, New York
Free Consultation

Hello, It depends. Is your settlement court approved? Did you go to court and the court approved it or was it drafted by attorneys only? If it is not court approved, you can seek to have it approved by the court, however, you would need to be able to serve the person who is in the UK. Do they have a US address? will their lawyer accept service? Do they have property in the US? If yes, then you can sue in small claims court in NJ but only for $3,000.00, which is the limit but it is a process you can do by yourself with guidance. Otherwise if you want to sue for the full $6,500.00 your case should be filed in the regular Special Civil Part. Does the party have assets here in the US? you might want to hire an investigator (cheaper than an attorney) to locate any assets. If they do, then with your approved court settlement, you can attach the property or file a lien to get your money back. If you need further assistance, you can contact me on the website for assistance with my services. All the best Donya Gordon

Meet some lawyers on our platform

Michael M.

5 projects on CC
View Profile

Donya G.

59 projects on CC
View Profile

George L.

1 project on CC
View Profile

Anand A.

10 projects on CC
View Profile