Legal Questions and Answers

Get free proposals from vetted lawyers in our marketplace.

No upfront payment required. Pay only if you hire.

Real Estate

Mortgage Agreement


Asked on Jun 28, 2022

Which court document shows the mortgagee?

Just asking

1 Attorney answer


Real Estate


Answered 57 days ago

Howard B.

ContractsCounsel verified

Business Lawyer
Licensed in Oklahoma
Free Consultation

To be clear, the mortgagor is the person taking the loan and giving the creditor a security interest in real property. The mortgagee is the creditor, typically a bank. Which court document depends on what type of proceeding you are involved in. If you are asking about a foreclosure action, the mortgage instrument is typically filed with the petition/complaint initiating the action. However, I'm an Oklahoma attorney, not a Georgia attorney, so I don't know if the same requirement applies to filings in your state. However, that's what is typical. The problem is that the loan is often sold, so the promissory note and the mortgage are assigned to other companies. The manner in which that happens varies by state. There might be attachments showing the documents were assigned to other financial institutions who presumably bought the note and mortgage. Those are usually pages attached to the back of the mortgage agreement. Also, there is a company called the Mortgage Electronic Registration, Inc. ("MERS") that tracks ownership of loans without making a separate assignment each time a loan is transferred from one financial institution to another. In a MERS case, there is typically a statement from MERS, often in a long legalese document called an affidavit. Somewhere in that affidavit, it likely says who the present owner is. Alternatively, the affidavit simply verifies that some other document is a true copy of their business records, and THAT document will have the mortgagee information. For more detailed information, you will need to take whatever documents you have and whatever case information you have (especially the case number) to an attorney in the state where the property is located, preferably in the county where the property is located. Good luck!

Meet some lawyers on our platform

Sunnita B.

16 projects on CC
View Profile

Angela Y.

3 projects on CC
View Profile

Gregory B.

52 projects on CC
View Profile

Justin K.

1 project on CC
View Profile