Legal Questions and Answers

Get free proposals from vetted lawyers in our marketplace.

No upfront payment required. Pay only if you hire.

Elder Law

Power of Attorney


Asked on Dec 20, 2022

How to get power of attorney of my mother

My mother has Alzheimer's and she doesn't remember to pay her bills, so it's a struggle for me to get belongs to pay her bills because she's always miss placing them or she doesn't want me to pay them for her. So every month I pay her bills. I give her, her medicine every single. She has to move in with me but before we move I have to be power attorney to her.

1 Attorney answer


Elder Law


Answered 21 days ago

Howard B.

ContractsCounsel verified

Business Lawyer
Licensed in Oklahoma
Free Consultation

If she is unwilling to sign a power of attorney document, you will need to take up an adult guardianship lawsuit. Connecticut appears to have adopted the Uniform Power of Attorney Act, which typically will simplify what is required to draft a power of attorney document. An attorney should be able to do that for you cheaply here on Contracts Counsel. However, if your mother will not voluntarily sign a power of attorney document, then you will have to try to obtain a guardianship. I should mention that the uniform power of attorney document may not allow medical decision making, so you may need a more complicated document. Either way, you will need to speak to an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.

Meet some lawyers on our platform

Ryenne S.

130 projects on CC
View Profile

Kristen R.

40 projects on CC
View Profile

Matthew S.

2 projects on CC
View Profile

Daniel R.

9 projects on CC
View Profile