Legal Questions and Answers

Get free proposals from vetted lawyers in our marketplace.

No upfront payment required. Pay only if you hire.


Administrative Services Contract

New York

Asked on Dec 21, 2021

How do you choose governing law?

I am a marketing consultant based in NY. I sent a contract to my new client who is located in VA. This was their question to me: "We have reviewed the contract with our attorney. Our only comment is on p. 5, paragraph 1, line 1, we would like it read This Agreement shall be interpreted, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Virginia. Please let me know if you are amenable to this change." I'd prefer to keep it in NY but don't want to lose the deal. What should I do?

1 Attorney answer



New York

Answered 258 days ago

Orin K.

ContractsCounsel verified

Business Lawyer
Licensed in New York
Free Consultation

The first thing to do is find out what the implications are of VA law as opposed to NY law and if you feel comfortable, ask the client why they want that. Contract law doesn't vary all that much between states, so if you make a contract and perform your part that shouldn't look different from one state to the next. It's possible their lawyer wants VA law because that's the law he/she knows.

Meet some lawyers on our platform

Tabetha H.

10 projects on CC
View Profile

Richard N.

76 projects on CC
View Profile

Daehoon P.

72 projects on CC
View Profile

Kristen R.

27 projects on CC
View Profile