Legal Questions and Answers

Get free proposals from vetted lawyers in our marketplace.

No upfront payment required. Pay only if you hire.


Contract Agreement


Asked on Aug 5, 2021

What is my best path to recover a down payment paid to a contractor who never started my job and has gone MIA while I've been trying to cordially recover my money. Demand Letter via certified mail etc..?

I signed a contract with a contractor to update my home. I signed the contract and paid a $5k deposit (the contract has zero verbiage related to a deposit) to 'get on his list'. After several months and failed attempts to get a specific start date I informed the contractor I was not going to move forward with the project. He said he would pay the deposit back but asked for me to accept $1000 / month. He paid $1000 back however has gone MIA since and is not returning any calls or texts.

1 Attorney answer




Answered 354 days ago

Jane C.

ContractsCounsel verified

Business Lawyer
Licensed in Connecticut, District of Columbia, New York
Free Consultation

I suggest you have an attorney send a demand letter. If that fails, you can bring you claim against the contractor to small claims court.

Meet some lawyers on our platform

Tabetha H.

10 projects on CC
View Profile

Anand A.

8 projects on CC
View Profile

Sunnita B.

15 projects on CC
View Profile

Michael M.

2 projects on CC
View Profile