If you want to form a limited liability company , one of the first things you need to do is pick LLC names. Your entity name can help you stand out in your industry, attract customers, and even tell people about the services that you plan to offer. LLC registration is an important milestone in the journey of any entrepreneur’s business, so make sure to take it seriously.
Choosing a Name for Your LLC
Choosing a name for your limited liability company is one of the most exciting aspects of opening a new business. This name will determine who you market yourself as, who your customers know you by, and how you will stand out in the market.
Choosing an eye-catching LLC name is a great way to market yourself.
On the other hand, being careless in your approach to picking a name for your LLC can hurt you in the long run. Customers want to know that you’re serious about your work, and your LLC name should reflect that.
Here are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing a name for your LLC:
Review State Requirements
Make sure your state permits words that you want to use in your LLC name. Many states place limitations on certain words, such as “bank” or “insurance.” It may also be a requirement that you include an indication that you are an LLC somewhere in your name by using phrases like “limited liability,” “limited liability company,” or even LLC.
It’s important that your LLC name sticks in people’s minds – don’t be afraid to get creative and come up with something that’s easy to remember. Consider using names that use alliteration or have rhyming schemes to make your business that much more memorable. This is one of the best marketing techniques you can use for your company!
If you’re wondering if your name is memorable enough, try speaking it aloud. Does it sound catchy? If the answer is no, keep brainstorming.
Focus on Descriptiveness
Try to make your LLC name tell the story of your business. If you sell flowers, for example, try something like “Beautiful Flowers, LLC.” Even though it can be tempting to name your company something meaningful for you that may not have much to do with your industry, it can be confusing for your customers. Stick to being descriptive in your company’s title for the best results.
Avoid copying other LLC’s business names. While it’s acceptable to take inspiration from other business owners, you should always make sure your LLC name is original. You’ll need to pick a name that hasn’t already been registered, anyway, so it’s a good idea to stay creative in your approach.
Consider Social Media and Website Domains
Consider social media and company websites when you’re creating your LLC name. Even if another company in your state doesn’t share your name, there’s a chance someone else in the country or even the world does. Picking a name that does not already have a reserved domain gives you more authority in your field, which builds customer trust and fosters long-term relationships.
Keep it Simple
Above all else, your business name needs to tell a story about your company in as few words as possible. The shorter your business name is, the easier it will be for customers to remember you. Keep it simple when it comes to the length of your company name for the best results.
Lear about LLC costs .
Benefits of LLC Names
You might be surprised to learn that tactfully choosing a name for your LLC could help you succeed in your business. It’s true – there are many benefits to LLC names beyond identifying your business from the crowd.
Here’s a rundown of the benefits an LLC name can give you:
- Branding : One of the best ways to market yourself is to create a brand for your company. Your LLC name can be the first building block to creating a strong brand that attracts customers.
- Authority : If you’re a small business owner, you know how difficult it can be to compete with larger companies. Registering an LLC name can give you more authority in your field, which can help you compete.
- Identity : The last thing you want to do is lose a customer to a competitor because your names are similar. When you create a unique LLC name, you distinguish yourself from the crowd, which increases customer awareness and sets you apart from your own company.
- Social and Websites : Naming your LLC can help you when it comes to your socials and websites by giving you a clear path to creating domains, email addresses, and social media accounts. Remaining consistent across all avenues is essential for your company and having an LLC name makes the process easy. Having a creative LLC name also improves your chances for high search engine ranking for your website, which attracts new customers.
- Credibility : Registering your business as an LLC helps customers understand that you’re serious about the work you do. In a sea of companies, people are more likely to choose those that are registered with the state – it makes you more credible versus other options.
Here is how to get an LLC .
Requirements for Naming an LLC
So, you’ve got your business documents. You’re ready to get everything filed with your state legislature, but there’s just one thing missing: your LLC name. It can be difficult to choose the right name for your business. Since the name of a business holds so much weight in the public opinion of your company, it’s understandable that it can be difficult to choose.
You might be relieved to know that there is no law that says you must operate under the name you register your LLC under. You can set up separate entity names for your business, called Doing Business As , or DBA names, that allow you to call yourself something different in the public’s eye.
However, the fact remains that you must name your LLC something , which can be a daunting task. Luckily, there are a few requirements that you must follow that can make the process go a bit smoother. Here’s a list of requirements for naming an LLC:
- It must include limited liability company in the name somewhere.
- Your name can’t suggest that your company is a different enterprise.
- Your name must match the services that your business provides, don’t mislead your customers.
- You cannot choose a name that is already registered with the Secretary of State or is Trademarked by another company.
Learn more about the requirements for naming an LLC by reading this article .
Finding Available LLC Names
Finding available LLC names is as simple as searching the LLC directory at your Secretary of State’s office. Sometimes, this is available online, but there are some scenarios where you will need to make a trip to the physical location to confirm. You will not be able to choose an LLC name that has already been spoken for by someone else in your state.
Sometimes, national or global brands file trademarks on their names that disallow others from using them, even across state lines and company borders. Make sure to perform a trademark check on your desired name before registering to ensure its availability.
Learn more about how to find available LLC names by checking out this article .
Get Help Forming an LLC
Do you need to set up an LLC?
Post a project in ContractsCounsel’s marketplace to get flat fee bids from lawyers to handle your LLC formation. All lawyers are vetted by our team and peer-reviewed by our customers for you to explore before hiring.