Gain Recognition Agreement

Clients Rate Lawyers on our Platform 4.9/5 Stars
based on 1,822 reviews

Jump to Section

Need help with a legal contract?

Post Project Now

What Is a Gain Recognition Agreement?

A gain recognition agreement (GRA) occurs when a U.S. securities holder (the US transferor) makes a transfer of a stock or security and agrees to recognize a gain, provided the transferee, a foreign corporation, disposes of the transferred stock during the term of the agreement and agrees to pay the interest on any owed taxes if a triggering event occurs.

A gain recognition agreement is a legal document that outlines who pays taxes on a stock gain when it’s a foreign transaction outside of American soil. Rather than the person transferring paying taxes, the person receiving it pays taxes, even if it’s a foreign entity.

A gain recognition agreement aims to make sure someone pays income taxes on a capital gain through the sale or profit of property, such as during a stock transfer agreement. The IRS instituted this regulation in 2014.

Who Must File a Gain Recognition Agreement?

The person or entity doing the transferring must file a gain recognition agreement according to Section 367 of the U.S. Treasury regulations. In addition, the foreign transferee must fill out IRS Form 926, Return by a U.S. Transferor of Property to a Foreign Corporation.

The idea is to make sure every form of earned income in the United States is appropriately taxed.

What’s Included in a Gain Recognition Agreement?

Gain recognition agreements must include several legal elements and delineate who pays taxes. A GRA must consist of:

Meet some lawyers on our platform

Orly B.

1 project on CC
View Profile

Gregory B.

34 projects on CC
View Profile

Albert M.

1 project on CC
View Profile

Bryan B.

55 projects on CC
View Profile

Information about the U.S. transferor.

Name of the U.S. transferor and the identifying number. The identifying number of an individual is their social security number (SSN). The identifying number of all others is their employer identification number (EIN). This is also the entity that must file the gain recognition agreement with the IRS.

List of any controlling shareholders if the shares remain in existence after the transfer. You must also include any identifying numbers here, too.

Noting if the U.S. transferor belongs to a parent corporation transferring the stock or security and the EIN of that entity.

The U.S. transferor must answer a series of questions to identify certain circumstances under the terms of the gain recognition agreement, including:

  • Is the transferee a specified 10%-owned foreign corporation that is not a controlled foreign corporation? This identifies any potentially close relationships with foreign investors or conflicts of interest.
  • Did the transferor remain in existence after the transfer? For example, did the U.S. transferor sell the stock or security as part of a bankruptcy filing?
  • If the transferor was a member of an affiliated group filing a consolidated return, was it the parent corporation? Again, to identify where the stock transfer came from.
  • For a partnership, did the partner pick up its pro-rata share of gain on the transfer of partnership assets? This identifies who stands to gain profits from the gain of transfer if more than one person owned the asset.
  • Is the partner disposing of its entire interest in the partnership? If so, not all of the sale or gain of the stock may be taxable.
  • Is the partner disposing of an interest in a limited partnership regularly traded on an established securities market? The IRS is trying to ascertain the tax liability of the stock.

ContractsCounsel Gain Recognition Agreement Image

Image via Pexels by Anna Nekrashevich

Information about the foreign transferee.

Identifying information, such as:

Name, address, identifying number or other identifying information, country code, and foreign law characterization/jurisdiction.

Answering the question: Is the transferee foreign corporation a controlled foreign corporation?

Information about the securities, stock, or cash value transferred.

Every security must have the same basic information in the gain recognition agreement:

  • Date of transfer
  • Description of property
  • Fair market value on the date of transfer (in U.S. dollars)
  • Cost or other basis
  • Gain recognized on the transfer

Types of property for this form are:

  • Cash/currency
  • Stocks
  • Securities including bonds, treasury notes, precious metals, and real estate
  • Inventory
  • Other property not listed
  • Property with built-in loss, like liquidated property, sold for far less than its original value
  • Intangible property, such as goodwill, workforce in place, or services of an individual

Questions answered here revolve around:

Is this a Section 367 gain recognition agreement? It’s letting the IRS know who has the tax liability in this situation.

Were any foreign branch assets (including a branch that is a foreign disregarded entity) transferred to a foreign corporation? The IRS is trying to ascertain who pays taxes based on the stock purchase agreement or asset transfer agreement.

Was the transferor a domestic corporation that substantially transferred all of the foreign branch's assets (including a branch that is a foreign disregarded entity) to a specified 10%-owned foreign corporation? The tax agency is trying to see if there is a potential conflict of interest.

Immediately after the transfer, was the domestic corporation a U.S. shareholder with respect to the transferee foreign corporation? In other words, does the U.S. transferor own a portion of the transferee?

Other questions revolve around what happened to the entities before and after the transfer.

How Long Does A Gain Recognition Agreement Last?

A gain recognition agreement will last 60 months following the end of the taxable year in which the transfer is made.

What Are Triggering Events for Gain Recognition Agreements?

A triggering event is anything that changes the disposition of the assets.

For example, a US transferor's failure to comply in any material respect within the confines of a gain recognition agreement or any other necessary reporting elements.

What Are Gain Recognition Agreement Filing Requirements?

A triggering event must occur first.

A U.S. transferor has to:

  • Report the gain to the IRS via an amended return for the year of transfer.
  • Adjust how the gain was recognized (i.e., the value in foreign currency).
  • Pay any penalties or interest on the additional assessed taxes.

Here is an article on property transfer agreements.

What Are Gain Recognition Agreement Annual Certification Requirements?

A GRA must be certified for each of the five full taxable years following the taxable year of the initial transfer. For example, if you file a GRA in 2021, the fifth year is 2025.

How Can a Corporate Lawyer Help With Gain of Recognition Agreements?

A corporate lawyer has the experience and knowledge to navigate gain of recognition agreements and other issues.

You can find an excellent corporate lawyer by filling out a simple questionnaire about your needs, and Contracts Counsel will show you people through our platform who meet your requirements.

Why have a corporate lawyer on your side? Because you can file taxes correctly, navigate complex IRS issues with foreign corporations, and make sure your assets are fully protected.

Have questions?

Post a project in ContractsCounsel’s marketplace to get flat fee bids from lawyers to review for your legal projects. All lawyers in our network are vetted by our team and peer-reviewed by our customers for you to review before hiring.

How ContractsCounsel Works
Hiring a lawyer on ContractsCounsel is easy, transparent and affordable.
1. Post a Free Project
Complete our 4-step process to provide info on what you need done.
2. Get Bids to Review
Receive flat-fee bids from lawyers in our marketplace to compare.
3. Start Your Project
Securely pay to start working with the lawyer you select.

Meet some of our Gain Recognition Agreement Lawyers

ContractsCounsel verified
Founder, Branch Legal LLC
10 years practicing
Free Consultation

Legal services cost too much, and are often of low quality. I have devoted my law practice to providing the best work at the most affordable price—in everything from defending small businesses against patent trolls to advising multinational corporations on regulatory compliance to steering couples through a divorce.

ContractsCounsel verified
4 years practicing
Free Consultation

I am a licensed attorney and a member of the California Bar. I graduated from the University of Dayton School of Law's Program in Law and Technology. I love IP, tech transfers, licensing, and how the internet and developing technology is changing the legal landscape. I've interned at both corporations and boutique firms, and I've taken extensive specialized classes in intellectual property and technology law.

ContractsCounsel verified
26 years practicing
Free Consultation

Jo Ann has been practicing for over 20 years, working primarily with high growth companies from inception through exit and all points in between. She is skilled in Mergers & Acquisitions, Contractual Agreements (including founders agreements, voting agreements, licensing agreements, terms of service, privacy policies, stockholder agreements, operating agreements, equity incentive plans, employment agreements, vendor agreements and other commercial agreements), Corporate Governance and Due Diligence.

ContractsCounsel verified
Attorney and Contract Guru
17 years practicing
Free Consultation

I am an unabashed contract law geek with a passion for delivering contracts that protect your business within your risk tolerance. Contracts should be clear, concise, and able to be understood by the end user. I promote Plain English contract drafting. I also pay close attention to the boilerplate traps that trip up many agreements. Some of my most frequent drafting projects are entity operating and shareholder agreements, bylaws, asset purchase agreements, commercial leases, EULA, Terms of Service, Privacy Policies, Confidentiality agreements, employment agreements, and more.

ContractsCounsel verified
Self-Employed Legal Consultant
8 years practicing
Free Consultation

I hold a B.S. in Accounting and a B.A. in Philosophy from Virginia Tech (2009). I received my J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 2012. I am an associate member of the Virginia Bar and an active member of the DC bar. Currently, I am working as a self-employed legal consultant and attorney. Primarily my clients are start-up companies for which I perform various types of legal work, including negotiating and drafting settlement, preparing operating agreements and partnership agreements, assisting in moving companies to incorporate in new states and setting up companies to become registered in a state, assisting with employment matters, drafting non-disclosure agreements, assisting with private placement offerings, and researching issues on intellectual property, local regulations, privacy laws, corporate governance, and many other facets of the law, as the need arises. I have previously practiced as an attorney at a small DC securities law firm and worked at Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLC. My work experience is dynamic and includes many short-term and long term experience that span across areas such as maintaining my own blog, freelance writing, and dog walking. My diverse background has provided me with a stong skill set that can be easily adapted for new areas of work and indicates my ability to quickly learn for a wide array of clients.

ContractsCounsel verified
Attorney at law
21 years practicing
Free Consultation

Texas licensed attorney specializing for 20 years in Business and Contract law. My services include General Business Law Advisement; Contract Review and Drafting; Legal Research and Writing, including Motion Practice; Business Formation; Article or Instructive Writing; and more. For more insight into my skills and experience, please feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile or contact me with any questions.

ContractsCounsel verified
Partner/Attorney at Law
14 years practicing
Free Consultation

Creative, results driven business & technology executive with 24 years of experience (13+ as a business/corporate lawyer). A problem solver with a passion for business, technology, and law. I bring a thorough understanding of the intersection of the law and business needs to any endeavor, having founded multiple startups myself with successful exits. I provide professional business and legal consulting. Throughout my career I've represented a number large corporations (including some of the top Fortune 500 companies) but the vast majority of my clients these days are startups and small businesses. Having represented hundreds of successful crowdfunded startups, I'm one of the most well known attorneys for startups seeking CF funds. My engagements often include legal consultation & advisory roles, drafting of NDAs, TOS & Privacy Policies, contracts and corporate law, business strategy advice & consulting, in-house counsel, Founder & entrepreneur guidance and other roles as needed by my clients. I hold a Juris Doctor degree with a focus on Business/Corporate Law, a Master of Business Administration degree in Entrepreneurship, A Master of Education degree and dual Bachelor of Science degrees. I look forward to working with any parties that have a need for my skill sets.

Find the best lawyer for your project

Browse Lawyers Now

Want to speak to someone?

Get in touch below and we will schedule a time to connect!

Request a call