Jump to Section
A K2 visa allows unmarried children under the age of 21 of a K1 visa holder to enter the United States of America and join their parents. A lawyer for a K2 visa is a professional who will ensure that the complex immigration process is streamlined and the children receive a smooth K2 visa process to join their parents in the US as quickly as possible. The legal professional provides consultation and support through the legal procedures and paperwork; apart from this, they also prepare the individuals for the interview process and keep monitoring the application. Let us delve into this blog to learn more about K2 visas.
Requirements for the K2 Visa
There are several requirements for getting an IR1 visa. Here are the common requirements mostly associated with the application process that everyone must fulfill:
- Relationship of the Parents: The applicant must legally marry or be engaged to a citizen of the country. Common-law marriages are not recognized for immigration purposes. That is why a valid marriage is necessary in this case.
- Proof of a Genuine Marriage: The applicant must demonstrate a genuine marriage between the parents. It can be established through documents and evidence that show the couple's shared life and financial ties.
- Sponsorship: The spouse is responsible for filing a visa petition on behalf of the applicant. The process happens with the help of the form and the petition for Alien Relatives. They must submit the birth certificate or adoption certificate for the same.
- Eligibility of the Sponsor: The citizen sponsor must meet specific financial requirements. They must prove that they can financially support the applicant.
- Medical Examination and Vaccinations: The applicant must undergo a medical examination. A few of them must also get the required vaccinations.
- Police Clearance: The applicant must provide a police clearance certificate from their home country. It can also come from other countries they have lived in for an extended period.
- Biometric and Interview: The applicant may be required to provide biometric data. It may include giving fingerprints and attending an interview at the consulate.
- Visa Fee: The applicant must pay the appropriate visa application fee.
Processing Timeline for the K2 Visa
The K2 visa process is very complex and can require time. However, the work gets easier if all the steps are followed carefully. The timeline for processing a K2 visa can depend on several factors. It includes the following:
- Petition Submission: The process begins when the citizen files the form and the petition for the unmarried children. The processing time for the petition can be different but may take several months.
- USCIS Approval: USCIS will send an approval notice once the petition is approved. This process depends on the specific petitions of the applicants and may take several months to complete.
- National Visa Center Processing: The case is transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC) after the earlier approval. The NVC will then send instructions and requests for required fees and documents. The time frame for this step varies, too.
- Document Collection: The applicant must gather the required documents. It includes the Affidavit of Support, civil documents, police clearance certificates, and medical examination results. The applicant will complete the DS-260 Visa Application online.
- Visa Interview: The NVC will schedule an interview at the consulate in the applicant's home country after receiving all required documents. The applicant attends the visa interview. The consular officer will issue the IR1 visa if approved. The visa allows for an entry period that lasts for six months.
Tips to Hire the Right Lawyer for the K2 Visa
Here are some practical tips for hiring the most competent lawyer for a K2 visa.
- Conduct Research. The individual should initiate research to identify lawyers specializing in immigration law. When searching for a lawyer, focus on those specializing in immigration law. Immigration laws are distinct from other legal areas and frequently change. A specialist in immigration law will be well-versed in the latest regulations, procedures, and best practices for K2 visa applications.
- Verify Credentials. Always check a lawyer's credentials before deciding. Ensure they are licensed to practice law in the applicable jurisdiction and are in good standing with the local bar association. Look for immigration-specific certifications or memberships in relevant professional organizations.
- Allow Comparative Analysis. Considering multiple attorneys and obtaining cost estimates from each allows for comparative analysis. It enables the individual to make an informed decision based on expertise and affordability. Never rush the decision-making process. Consult with multiple lawyers for a K2 visa to assess their expertise, communication aptitudes, and understanding of the client’s situation.
- Check Appeals and Waivers. Lawyers for K2 visas can assist in the appeals process if an application is denied. They also help applicants address issues that may have led to the denial. The professionals may also assist in seeking waivers for certain disqualifying factors.
- Assess Communication Skills. Effective communication between you and the attorney is essential. Ensure the lawyer is fluent in the client’s preferred language, English or any other language. Their ability to clearly describe complex legal terms and procedures can impact the success of a K2 visa application.
- Request a Cost Estimate. The individuals should request a cost estimate from the K2 lawyer based on the information shared during the consultation. They should clarify the services included in the estimate and whether additional charges apply for specific tasks.
- Seek References. Personal recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues undergoing the K2 visa process can be invaluable. They can provide insights into the quality of service and experience with a particular lawyer.
- Check the Ability to Represent Legally. Lawyers for K2 visas can represent their clients before immigration authorities. They can also represent the clients in court to resolve matters where applicants have complex legal issues or get rejected.
Key Terms for K2 Visas
- K2 Visa: This visa allows the admission and residency of a fiancé(e)’s minor children of a K-1 visa holder who is a U.S. citizen.
- Fiancé(e) Visa (K1): This kind of visa allows a foreign fiancé(e) of an American citizen to enter the nation to consummate their marriage.
- Minor Child: When discussing the K2 visa, we discuss unmarried children under 21 who can travel independently with their parents on a K-1 visa.
- The K1 Fiancé(e) Visa: It permits the fiancé of an American citizen to enter the nation to marry them.
- Consular Processing: The process through which the K2 visa application is submitted and processed at a U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign national's home country.
- Adjustment of Status: The process that K2 visa holders must go through in the United States to change their immigration status from K2 to that of a legal permanent resident (green card holder) after marrying the K-1 visa holder's U.S. citizen petitioner.
Final Thoughts on K2 Visas
Obtaining a K2 visa can be a complicated procedure, and the assistance of a competent lawyer is indispensable for ensuring a successful K2 visa application. In addition, professional attorneys play a fundamental role in navigating the K1 fiancé(e) visa holders bringing their unmarried children under 21 to the United States and ensuring their statutory privileges and claims remain safeguarded throughout the application procedure. The right attorney to deal with specific claims is necessary to ensure a seamless and successful immigration procedure.
If you want free pricing proposals from vetted lawyers that are 60% less than typical law firms, click here to get started. By comparing multiple proposals for free, you can save the time and stress of finding a quality lawyer for your business needs.