Divorce costs in the United States can vary widely, with most people spending anywhere from $15,000 to $20,000 and a minimum cost of around $7,000. Asking the cost of divorce is normally the first thing that comes to an individual's mind when thinking about marriage dissolution because of unforeseen circumstances. Reports suggest that around 600,000 Americans get divorced every year. It sustains around $11 billion in the legal industry.
The following blog highlights the details regarding divorce costs and other associated details.
What is Divorce?
Divorce refers to the legal action between married individuals who want to terminate their relationship because of different circumstances and situations. It is often called the dissolution of marriage and is a legal action that ends the marriage before the death of either the husband or the wife.
Divorce Cost in the United States
A divorce costs around $7,000 in the United States, and the average expense is between $15,000 to $20,000. However, a few complicated divorce cases, such as the ones revolving around property disputes or child custody, may be more expensive. Such cases may cost over $100,000.
However, do-it-yourself or uncontested divorces are cheaper than the others and may cost around $200 to $2000. The divorce fees and procedures may also vary from one US state to another.
Divorce Cost Factors
Multiple important factors may affect a divorce cost, including the following.
- The state in which the separation occurs between a couple.
- The decision regarding the hiring of a professional attorney to handle the case.
- The geographical region of the couple (rural or urban).
- The complexity of a couple's finances.
- The involvement of child custody.
- The agreement or the disagreement of the couple on the terms of the divorce.
Divorce Lawyer Fees
The average fee for a divorce lawyer in the United States is $270 per hour. However, the individual rates may vary depending on the client's requirements and other circumstances. Moreover, the total cost of a full-scope divorce lawyer in the United States is $11,300.
Why Hire a Divorce Lawyer
A divorce lawyer's fees may sound expensive, but the professional plays a significant role in helping a client win the case. The attorney is a convenient resort for filing for divorce and other associated legal proceedings.
Here is a breakdown of the benefits of hiring a divorce lawyer.
The Lawyer Provides Experienced Assistance
An experienced divorce lawyer can let clients know what will happen in a particular legal proceeding. Such lawyers have relevant expertise in dealing with similar divorce cases earlier that will help the client win the case and become eligible for benefits, such as child custody, spousal support, etc.
The professional divorce attorney also knows what to expect and can advise clients about the appeals, legal documents, applications, and other evidence they can present to the court to win the divorce case.
The Lawyer Provides Legal Protection
Every divorce lawyer knows and understands the rules of evidence related to a couple's divorce. The knowledge helps the professionals work to keep the opposite party from submitting evidence into the record that may be irrelevant or inadmissible according to family laws. The professional lawyer will also ensure that the client provides relevant legal arguments and objections in court to win the divorce case against the other spouse.
The Lawyer Understands All Relevant Procedures
An experienced divorce lawyer knows the issues relevant to a client's case and works to focus the court hearing on them by highlighting all important points in front of the court.
Family laws, especially the ones related to divorce proceedings, may be complicated, and not everyone can understand them. That is why a divorce lawyer can help clients divert the court into listening to significant issues that can benefit them.
The Lawyer Gives Relevant Legal Advice
An experienced divorce lawyer offers clients legal advice on making divorce claims after they decide to separate from their spouses. The professional attorney also guides clients in gathering relevant evidence to produce in court and win the divorce case and alimony against the other spouse.
The Lawyer Ensures a Faster Procedure
A divorce lawyer has all the expertise to help clients file an appeal if they disagree with any notice of determination and compensation provided by a particular state's authorities during the dissolution trial.
The family attorney can also anticipate different scenarios related to the client's legal situation and compile all evidence to help them receive benefits after the court announces the dissolution of the marriage.
Key Terms Related to Divorce Cost
Individuals seeking a divorce may ask a professional lawyer about its expenses before going for a trial in court. However, it is recommended to understand a few key terms that will help the clients assist their respective lawyers in winning the case.
- Absent Parent: An individual who no longer lives with their children.
- Affidavit: A written statement of evidence sworn by different means.
- Alimony: Financial support provided by one spouse to another after divorce.
- Injunction: A particular court order that restricts an individual or party from certain actions or behavior.
- Domicile: The legal relationship between an individual or party and the country of residence.
- Order: A specific direction by the court related to a case must be obeyed.
- Cohabitation: A particular situation when an unmarried couple stays together.
- Adultery: Sexual intercourse between an individual with another person with whom they are not legally married.
- Petition: A legal document that helps initiate divorce or dissolution of marriage.
- Reconciliation: Two married individuals who got separated but got back together.
- Maintenance: Regular payments by a particular party to another by court order or agreement.
The cost of a divorce may vary from one place to another depending on the situation or the client's requirements. Moreover, the family laws related to divorce may be complicated. It is advised to approach a divorce lawyer for court trials.
If you are looking for a professional divorce lawyer, visit ContractsCounsel now. You can seek assistance from the best legal experts by visiting the official website and posting a project with your requirements.