Legal Questions and Answers

Get free proposals from vetted lawyers in our marketplace.

No upfront payment required. Pay only if you hire.

Real Estate



Asked on Jun 24, 2022

Lien on house

Trying to sell home. My title company having issue settling the debt. Title company contact loan to payoff, but no record of my property was found. Only past owner current home is on the loan. Quit Deed was done 2012. In 2015 past owner loan was passed to a different company who record in Florida my parcel number. So basically I can't pay loan off because my home is not attached to her loan. I still can't clear title because lien was recorded 2015 in Fl court house, but The past owner was no longer on deed. Looking to hire a lawyer to clear title, so I can sell my home.

1 Attorney answer


Real Estate


Answered 79 days ago

Michael T.

ContractsCounsel verified

Business Lawyer
Licensed in District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia
Free Consultation

This sounds complicated enough that you need a lawyer to get involved. Do you have a title insurance "owner's policy"? If so, that might get you a free lawyer (I can't tell from the facts you presented whether that will work). Also, you've tagged this question as a Virginia question, but you mention the lien being recorded in Florida. You need an experienced lawyer in the jurisdiction in which the property is located. If the house is in Virginia, you need a Virginia lawyer; if in Florida, you need a Florida lawyer. If it's a lien on Virginia property from a Florida judgment, then you need a Virginia lawyer, because that's where the property is located.

Meet some lawyers on our platform

Brad H.

8 projects on CC
View Profile

Gregory F.

2 projects on CC
View Profile

Justin K.

1 project on CC
View Profile

Daehoon P.

76 projects on CC
View Profile